4/03/2015

Do You Have a Minute?

There's a question I get asked frequently that carries quite a bit of weight. When a colleague asks me "Do you have a minute?" it means a few great things to me.
  1. They are having some consideration and mutual respect for me, not demanding my time but asking for it.
  2. With as busy as almost all of us on the team are, we make sure to take time to help one another and listen to one another. Though certainly not the only profession where learning is a critical aspect, it's most definitely a career in which we spend as much or more time learning than doing. It's much easier to have a career based in learning when all of your colleagues make time for you.
  3. It reaffirms that I provide value to the team. If someone needs my input, usually I do my best to make my input as valuable as possible.  It's a tiny confidence boost to know someone wants my attention.
  4. Sometimes the situation requires more than just a minute. Sometimes I have to make a point of setting aside a block of time for helping a team mate. Much of the time I am helping teach junior team members best practices and programming patterns. I think this is a critical path to mastery. It's much easier to teach a subject you have familiarity with than one you are new to.

I make it a point to help out when my team needs me. I may not be available immediately every time I'm asked, but I do always find the person who asked as soon as I can. There's a difference between having time and making time. I make time for having a minute. These are some of the most important minutes of my career.

JSON Jason